Wednesday 20 May 2015

My Weight Loss Journey

Hi everyone,

So yesterday I let you all know about my weigh in and how it all went but I have never really told you all about my journey to where I am, so I feel its a fitting subject for this afternoons post!

I started losing weight back in 2013. I was a new years resolutioner at the gym and I joined with my mum as we both wanted to get fit and tone up. I was unhealthy, overweight and my resting heart rate was 100 (which is high for someone of my height). I couldn't tell you exactly what I weighed then because I don't know. One of the things my first PT told me was to not focus on scales but on how well clothing fit so we didn't weigh in much.

My first few months in the gym were harder than I could ever have imagined! I was bruised, aching and exhausted! I felt like giving up at first because I wasn't getting results as quickly as I wanted them. After 4-5 months of regular exercise people started to notice my weight loss and I was super happy that I could fit into smaller jeans! I had always been a bigger size in most clothes so this was a massive improvement! Then after a year I was fitting into even smaller tops and trousers and I honestly felt great! But the thing was I got comfortable. I started to eat more rubbish again and thought because I went to the gym I would work it off plus more and still lose weight. I couldn't have been more wrong!

The one thing that will stick in my mind is going shopping for something to wear for my 18th. I thought I had been working so hard for so long that I would get into something tight fitting and feel comfortable. I went shopping with my mum and found the most perfect black jumpsuit to go out in and I took a small size in and my new normal size, thinking the small could fit because of the exercise I had been doing. It didn't. Neither did my normal size. I ended up coming away with the size I was after doing 4 months in the gym. I was heartbroken. I couldn't understand it!

I had my 18th and then decided I needed to do something drastic because I wasn't happy. I told my mum I was going to buy some shakes and live off them so I could slim down. She wasn't happy for me to do that and suggested we joined our local Slimming World. I thought about it and decided why not, it can't hurt to try can it?

It is hands down the best thing I did. I remember walking into group so nervous and scared about everyone judging me and that they were all going to call me fat and laugh when I failed. I was wrong. Everyone was so warm and welcoming, some on a continuing journey and others at the end. The consultant was amazing at explaining everything and then we sat and watched group. After that the new starters got weighed. I weighed in at 12stone 8 pounds, which is heavy for someone my height, and I had a BMI of 31 (putting me at risk of heart disease and diabetes). I wanted that to change.

I lost 4.5 pounds in my first week and I have continued to lose throughout the entire 9 months I have been at Slimming World. Some weeks I have had gains and maintains and others have been a small loss, but its all added up. I have lost over 2 stone with Slimming World and rather a lot of inches. I love the entire programme because you can eat what you want (even chocolate) and still lose.

I honestly would advise anyone out there wanting to lose weight to sign up and see how they go. It really works! If I can do it anyone can!

Below are my before and after photos!



Love
BethanyLouise xx

No comments:

Post a Comment